Identity of Things: Security & Privacy Concerns

This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Alexane.

• Author
     Simon Moffatt
    Participant

A basic paper I created a few months ago, looking at the identity and access management concerns as found within the internet of things landscape – http://www.slideshare.net/simonmoffatt/s-moffatt-identityofthingsjune2014

Eve Maler

Great stuff in this paper. Folks may also want to follow the ForgeRock account on SlideShare; Victor Ake and I recently presented at a new conference in San Francisco called “IOTA” on IoT security and authorization and privacy (respectively), and we put our slides up there.

David G. Simmons
    Participant

Great presentation Eve. Lots of good detail and a ton of avenues for further investigation. At least for the consumer-wearable activity trackers, something better than “Facebook sign-in” for sharing data is certainly required. Fine-grained access control and strong privacy are absolutely required.

Eve Maler

Thanks, David! The response from the attendees was interesting. Several folks came up and said they were glad to see a concrete proposal, because other speakers were talking about how privacy was absolutely important, but it wasn’t a consideration in the development platforms they were presenting; they were assuming it would be taken care of somewhere else in the stack. Eek. :-o Obviously, an approach that can be baked in as part of the basic security and access layer would have some advantages.

David G. Simmons
    Participant

Certainly Eek! Security must always be built in from day zero. Adding a security layer later is a recipe for disaster, and insecurity. If we’re talking any sort of personal information — especially of the wearable/medical variety — security in-place, in-flight, and at-rest (stored) are critical. I love the devices by withings (http://www.withings.com/us/) but I have questions about how they secure the data in-flight and in-app.

Alexane
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this great information with us. IoT has become very popular in this technological world but it has some issues with security and privacy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 ForgeRock - we provide an identity and access platform to secure every online relationship for the enterprise market, educational sector and even entire countries. Click to view our privacy policy and terms of use.

Forgot your details?